Weber County
Brigham City
Salt Lake


Many people prefer natural gas appliances, including dryers, ovens, and water heaters, over their electric counterparts because of the units' efficiency and potential cost savings. Gas ovens are particularly popular because their constant temperatures cook food faster and more evenly.

If you have natural gas appliances, knowing how to install, care for, and use them will help extend their life and prevent an unnecessary leak. Here are a few dos and don'ts for homeowners who prefer natural gas appliances.

Don't Install the Appliances Yourself

Installing gas appliances requires several steps, including installing a new gas line, if you convert the unit from electric to gas. Hiring a professional to handle each of these steps will protect your family, appliance, and entire natural gas system from damage.

Here are a few reasons why you should never install your own natural gas appliances:

  • Gas leaks. Forgetting to tighten a bolt or use thread seal tape could cause dangerous natural gas to leak into your home, at the site of installation.
  • Appliance damage. Improper installation can break the appliance, which will cost you more money to repair or replace the unit.
  • System damage. Improper installation of an appliance or new line could cause a catastrophic break that will lead to a costly repair or a massive natural gas leak anywhere in your home.

Contact a professional to determine the cost of installing a new line or an appliance.

Don't Allow Your Kids Around the Natural Gas Appliances

Curious children combined with natural gas appliances can cause a potentially deadly leak. Childproofing all your natural gas appliances, even the water heater tucked away in the basement, is the best protection from your rambunctious kids.

Purchase childproofing kits from your local department store, such as knob covers for your gas stove, to keep smaller kids from accidentally releasing natural gas into the air. Use the back burners whenever possible to prevent burns. Surrounding your water heater with a baby gate is another inexpensive way to keep little ones safe.

Teach your older kids the dangers of using natural gas appliances and ways to spot a natural gas leak. When your kids are old enough to cook, teach them how to properly use the gas stove.

Do Hire a Professional to Repair Your Natural Gas Appliances

Repairing your natural gas appliances might seem straightforward. Unfortunately, even the most intrepid do-it-yourself homeowner needs to leave any repair job, no matter how small, to the professionals. Here are a few reasons why:

  • You might void the warranty. Tackling even a small repair on your own on a newer appliance might void the warranty. Refer to the manufacturer's warranty information to double check their repair policies.
  • You don't have the right tools. Professionals have the tools available to repair any issue with your appliance. If you don't, the cost of purchasing all those tools is often more than hiring someone to tackle the repair for you.
  • You might do more damage than good. Taking the proper precautions before repairing a natural gas appliance is critical to avoid further damage or a natural gas leak. If you don't take these precautions, or don't know which precautions to take, you could wind up doing more harm than good.

Professionals often have access to natural gas appliance parts at much cheaper rates than are available online or at your local hardware store. When you combine these cost savings and the professional's expertise, leaving repairs to a trusted handyman makes sense.

Don't Ignore the Signs of a Natural Gas Leak

Caring for your natural gas appliances correctly means knowing when you have a problem and what to do if you suspect you have a natural gas leak. Natural gas has no odor, which is why utility companies combine it with additives that create a very noticeable smell.

Check the burners on your natural gas stove or the knobs on your gas dryer. If the knobs are slightly turned, the appliance could be slowly leaking gas. Turn the appliances off and open some windows to allow the natural gas odor to dissipate.

However, if the smell is strong or you suspect you have a leak, do not try to find the source of the leak yourself. Instead, open the windows; grab your kids, pets, and cell phone; and call your local utility company. Your utility provider will find the source of the leak and make any necessary repairs.

Do not enter your home until you get the okay from the utility company. Contact a professional appliance specialist to double check your appliances, once the leak is resolved. A specialist can inspect your natural gas appliances to ensure no issues are left or repair any problems as they arise.

Caring for your natural gas appliances correctly, including leaving any repairs to the professionals, will extend the life of the appliances and prevent an unnecessary gas leak. If you have any more questions, contact the professionals at Dick Kearsley Service Center.


520 S State, Clearfield, UT 84015

[email protected]

Hours Of Operation:

Mon-Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Saturday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Sunday: Closed

Find Us On:


Davis/Morgan: 801-773-4836

Weber County: 801-393-1265

Brigham City: 435-553-4556

Salt Lake: 801-292-1636


© Dick Kearsley Service Center 2023